I looked at my Drupal 8 Module Acceleration Program (D8 MAP) Trello board this morning and was struck with the enormity of what we have accomplished over the past 4 months.
If you want an overview of the Drupal 8 Module Acceleration Program check out my post on Acquia.com.
In this post I would like to share some of our victories, and name those who deserve credit.
The D8 MAP team, led by Adam Balsam, has accelerated over 20 modules including some the most critical modules for the community:
- Entity Embed
- Field Collection
- Scheduled Updates
- Workbench Moderation
What this list doesn’t expose is the huge effort that has been put in to gain architectural consensus to ensure wide adoption of these modules. This journey started with a summit we held at BadCamp in October to discuss what modules would be required to build a full authoring experience for Drupal 8. Since then it has played out in ways delightful and unexpected.
Developers have reached out to us from the largest Drupal sites in the world to ask how they can help complete modules. Maintainers and other community members have donated their time to attend discussions and planning meetings. We’ve hosted robust debates on the importance of standards and the merits of tightly coupling functional areas. Again and again we've seen that wide consensus can be reached because we all share the common goal of making Drupal 8 a powerful tool for authors, site builders, and developers.
Next month we have some really exciting releases:
- Panels, Panelizer
- Search API, Facets, Search API Solr, Search API Attachments
- With many more to come…
Our core development team come from many countries, companies and time-zones:
- Abhishek Anand (Acquia / India)
- Bec White (Palantir.net / US Central)
- David Snopek (Freelance / US Central)
- Jaleel Carter (Acquia / US East)
- Joris Vercammen (Freelance / Belgium)
- Juampy Novillo Requena (Lullabot / Spain)
- Klaus Purer (Rules Team / Europe)
- Kris Vanderwater (Acquia / US Central)
- Larry Garfield (Palantir.net / US Central)
- Naveen Valecha (Acquia / India)
- Neetu Morwani (Acquia / India )
- Sven Decabooter (Freelance / Belgium)
- Ted Bowman (Freelance / US East)
- Thomas Howell (Acquia / US East)
- Thomas Seidl (Freelance / Austria)
- Tim Plunkett (Acquia / US East)
- Wolfgang Ziegler (Rules Team / Europe)
All of these people and companies agreed to work at community rates because they believe, as we do, that this work is imperative to drive adoption of Drupal 8.
What this means for the world: more reasons every month to choose Drupal 8 for development.