Meet Ruth Fuller, she's here to help businesses get more out of Drupal by helping them engage more effectively with the Drupal community. She'd like to help you with effective Drupal and open source sponsorship, how to engage with the community, planning, coordination, presentation preparation, and public speaking coaching.
Give more to get more
A lot of businesses are using open source nowadays; there's a lot of Drupal out there. Ruth has seen organizations struggle with getting the most out of it. Drupal is a lot more than "just some software package." Those who can engage with the Drupal community in productive ways, there can be great rewards: increased productivity, better tools, easier hiring and more.
For example, if you build a reputation for contributing as a company, "One of the big things people aren't realizing is that you have that great open source code, but if you send your developers," on company time to open source events, "and they're learning more and they're getting involved then company-specific pain points that you have can be taken care of, not just by people in your organization, but by entire communities."
"The people working in your company are the main ambassadors [to the broader Drupal community]. It's an individual first, and where they work second. You gotta get your employees out there, in the sprint rooms, working with people, learning from people. People will see your company wanting to be involved."
Drupal: A place of passion
I think Ruth hits on a key point about successfully interacting with the Drupal community. When she was getting started at the DA, "I quickly learned why people were being so passionate in their emails. They were really excited or really upset, but the reality was that this wasn't just a program or software that they worked with or a company that they worked for 9 to 5 ... This was something that was incredibly important to them. Especially working with the Association, any sort of feedback was almost like, 'Please take care of my baby.' I enjoyed that any sort of intensity was really from a place of passion for the project."
Consultant Dossier: Ruth H. Fuller
- Freelance consultant for communication and open source community engagement, formerly with the Drupal Association.
- Drupal.org profile: ruthief
- Website: http://www.ruthhfuller.com/ "I am Ruth and I am a ... communicator, teacher, facilitator, voice ..."
- Twitter: DrupalRuth
- Best Drupal memory: "The first time I met Dries in person was at DrupalCon Portland when they needed to use my apartment to pretend it was his apartment for a documentary ... He used my keys and was like 'Home sweet home!' and walking in to my apartment ... That was a little weird." :-)
- She'd like to help you with effective Drupal and open source sponsorship, how to engage with the community, planning, coordination, presentation preparation, and public speaking coaching.