DrupalCon Baltimore is coming up April 24 through April 28, 2017.
Why not make this the year that you present a session?
If the idea of submitting a session sounds appealing, focus for a few seconds on this date: February 1, 2017 at 23:59 EST (UTC -5). That’s the deadline for submitting a session proposal.
Okay, now let’s work backwards from that.
The next thing you should do is watch the video below, by John Kennedy, project manager for Acquia Lightning and program manager for the Drupal 8 Module Acceleration Program (MAP).
John is an experienced and engaging speaker and presenter. Check out how he animates the presentation of this simple list in the video.
Now let’s focus on the content, which (spoiler alert) includes these NINE tips:
- Check Drupal.org, specifically the Submit a Session page, before you submit
- Make it unique, pitch something very specific
- This is not a marketing or product pitch (technical expertise only please)
- Publish your materials in advance
- Present with a friend
- Drupal 8, Drupal 8 and Drupal 8
- Make sure you’ve got an interesting story
- Think about your audience, write specifically to them
- Make sure you have takeaways, and communicate “what you’re going to learn"
Now you’re psyched, right?
Here are a few more details:
Speaking at a DrupalCon is considered a volunteer contribution to the Drupal project, and it comes with significant benefits.
Two of the big ones:
- One DrupalCon ticket per session to attend the full conference
- An archived video of your session available on YouTube shortly after your presentation. This video can be used for promotion, and in your speaker reel (you have one, don’t you? If not, why not start one?)
(BTW, to anticipate your next question: speakers are expected to pay for travel and lodging expenses incurred while traveling to and attending the conference.)
Remember: session selection is highly competitive. The Drupal Association receives hundreds of submissions for each major DrupalCon.
If you aren’t selected, let Acquia know and if the content is compelling, we can evaluate for Acquia Developer Center.
We hope to see you -- on stage -- at DrupalCon Baltimore!